Saturday, June 6, 2009

BITTERSWEET...

Well, for those of you who don't do Facebook (and maybe those who don't keep up on it very often), the past few days have been rough. My oldest sister, Shannan, was put on life support and then passed away Thursday night. She struggled for many years with bipolar disorder and depression, along with a drug addiction that eventually proved fatal. The title of this post is "Bittersweet" because although death is always hard, it was a sweet relief and end to a real struggle that Shannan dealt with. We are headed to Utah next week for the funeral.

Instead of dwelling on the negative, I wanted to use this post to remember the good times with my sister. She was way older than me and sort of became my second mom. I remember her taking me to swimming lessons, working at the preschool I went to, teaching me how to shave and other "woman stuff", etc. She was an amazingly giving person. Very sensitive to people's needs. She taught me to love Raisinets, the movie What About Bob?, and Louie Anderson (the comedian). I remember lots of trips to get frozen yogurt and staying in her apartment in the summers in Utah. Whatever car she had became my new favorite. I loved Honda CRX's for a long time because she had one! When she would come home to visit I remember her leaving little surprises for my brother Russ and I when she had to leave before we woke up. Froot Loops cereal will always remind me of Shannan--she loved them and taught me the right way to eat them (who knew there was a system??)! One time she took me to lunch at a restaurant that shall remain nameless and she stole a menu for me so that I would always remember that lunch.:) She was a nanny for a few different families who adored her and she was so good to those kids--I was there to witness it firsthand a few times.:) She had twin boys and was a wonderful mother to them for the first couple years (before her struggles began). A lot of the tactics I use with Haylee are tricks I learned from Shannan. One especially memorable moment I have is being in St. George with her. We drove up to the hill with the airport on it and parked at night (probably right along with a bunch of teenage couples!). She pointed out how the St. George temple was breathtaking from that view and looked like it had been "dropped from heaven" (her exact words).

I can't express how excited I am to see Shannan after this life. I know she will finally be the Shannan I remember from my childhood.:) I am sad that she is gone, but I know she is in a much better place and free from the pain she endured here on earth. I can't imagine how I would get through this without the knowledge of the gospel. I feel so blessed to know why we are here on earth and where we go after we die. I love you, Shannan.:)

19 comments:

Beth Benson said...

Beautiful post bethany :)

Cassie said...

Beautiful words... I'm so sorry for your loss, bitter-sweet says it perfectly. Your family will be in our prayers...

Amanda L said...

Beth,

This is a great way to remember her! I remember Shannon's laugh. Growing up I just remember her always laughing and having a good time with her totally eighties hair and clothes. Your family is in my prayers. I know now she can get the help she needs and searched for here on earth. Love ya.

Julie Barfuss said...

Bethany -

So well put! I couldn't have put it better myself. I hope you are doing okay. I know we will all be happy to see Shannon again some day! Like you, I have SO MANY great memories of Shannon and the joy she always left in her path. She was always the life of the party and fun to be around. I couldn't have asked for a better cousin!

Love you - Hope you are holding up...

Julie McHood

Kindy said...

I'm sorry that you lost your sister, you're words were perfect and sweet. It's wonderful that we know that our loved ones are happy and safe and that we will see them again. I pray that you and your family will be blessed and comforted.
Love ya,
Kindy

Deanne said...

I am so sorry for you loss, and so inspired by your sweet memories and your amazing outlook! Thank you for sharing it.

Arlene said...

Bethany,

I am so sorry for your loss. After the last few weeks, I know that you are right, the Gospel is the only thing to help us through pain like that. My prayers are with you.

Marsha said...

You are a great little sister !! Such kind words and good thoughts make me feel better. Thanks for sharing.
Love, Mom

B said...

Wow, what a great tribute! Sisters are great! Our thoughts and prayers are with you. We love you!

Rebecca McHood

Two little lovebirds said...

So well put. Beautiful words. I am so sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my prayers. I am also greatful for the Gospel. I pray that you will be comforted.

Erica Hanks said...

Love ya girlie! Hugs!

Myers Family said...

We love you Bethany! Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. How lucky we are to have the gospel to know you will see her again eh? Keep up the positive attitude - it is such an inspiration :)

Brittney Smith said...

That was a beautiful tribute Bethany, I am so sorry I was so shocked on Sunday, I didn't think I heard you correctly a few times. Please let me know if there is anything I can do!

Unknown said...

Bethany, sorry for your loss. We are praying for your family. If you need help with anything while you are in Utah, I am in Lehi and can babysit or if you need a place to stay or anything let me know..my number is (801)768-8105
Stacey Hall

Zeb, Hilary, & Camden said...

We are so sorry to hear about your loss, she sounds like a great big sister. I am glad you have so many wonderful memories of her and what a comfort to know you will be with her again someday. We will keep you and your family in our prayers, let us know if you need anything.

CF Is Not Forever said...

Glad you are able to stay positive and that you have such wonderful parents and husband who can be a support system for you.

Darce said...

Beautiful post Bethany! Death is always hard, but at times it does bring comfort. You said that so well! You're in our prayers.

Reflections of Heart said...

Bethany,
I was so sad to hear of Shannan’s passing. Thank you for writing such sweet memories of your sister. I did not know Shannan had a diagnosed mental illness. Bipolar Disorder is especially difficult to understand and cope with effectively. I can only imagine the struggle for her, as well as coping as a family. Although it has been years since I have seen Shannan, I have many fond memories of her. Shannan’s incredibly contagious laugh, smile and spontaneous humor are what first come to mind. Like you, I will never forget riding around in her bright yellow Honda CRX listening to Tpau blasting on the stereo. (I know...so 80's) We had such a great time together when she lived at our house for a short time. I was in high school then and we spent many evenings talking about life and boys. A special memory I have of Shannan was driving home in her CRX one night after we had gone to the movies. It had snowed the whole time we were in the theater and we were driving home on part of the road that no one had driven or plowed yet. Shannan said, “Do you want to see something really beautiful?” “Sure”, I replied, and she turned off her headlights as we creeped along. The moon was full and made a miraculous reflection off the snow with a light pink glow. It was quiet, still and peaceful. I will never forget that moment of beauty shared with my cousin Shannan. She taught me how to reflect on life and to “see” things that I may have missed otherwise. Hugs to You, Aunt Marsha, Uncle Kerry, Kristen and Russ. Hugs to both of her boys. Shannan, May you feel the peace of that moment long ago, and see the beauty of your soul. With Love,
Your cousin Jennifer
A donation has been made in memory of Shannan to NAMI (National Alliance for Mental Illness) www.nami.org

Mandi said...

It's always hard to know what to say when someone so close passes away. Bittersweet is the best description there is sometimes because you see all the suffering your sweet sister went through and you love her and can't stand to see her suffer. I remember so many times with my dad, watching him cry out on pain and knowing that his only survival was pain meds, and thinking it would be so much better if he could just pass away and not feel that pain anymore. But then it happens, and then it's sometimes hard to remember why it was such a good thing for them to go when you miss them so very much. Then I have to remember that I miss the good old days with my dad, the days when he was healthy and happy. Those are the days I want back and then you feel happy for them that they aren't suffering anymore. They are happy and 100% whole. Now it's just the people who were left behind that have to suffer. There are times when I feel like I can't stnad it because I know that he is never coming back, and I'm sure you feel that way too, but I pray for you that you will continue to feel the peace of knowing that she is in a better place. Thank you for that sweet post.