Saturday, October 18, 2008

OHIO TRIP--JOHN JOHNSON FARM

We got to go down to the John Johnson Farm, which was amazing and I think it was all of our favorite place. First of all--it was beautiful! We were able to take lots of great pics there after the tour.

Here's little Haylee after the tour. Just chillin' on the front steps. So dang cute.:)
When Joseph Smith was dragged from his home and tarred and feathered, this was the home he was taken from. The mob said that he wouldn't be preaching the next morning after what they had done to him. These steps are the steps he gave his sermon from the next day.:) There were many who were baptized because of that incident--including some of the mob who attacked him. And Haylee couldn't focus for the picture because she was too busy playing with my curly hair! Gotta love the attention span of a one year old!
This is another room that some amazing spiritual events took place. Joseph Smith translated a lot in this room. The spirit was amazing even to this day as we sat in there after the tour.
This room is a very special room. Joseph and Emma slept in this room with their adopted twin babies. One night, the twins were very sick with the measles, so Emma slept in the big bed with the girl and Joseph slept in the small bed with the boy, trying to comfort them. That was the night that the mob broke in and pulled Joseph from his bed and tarred and feathered him. The little boy twin died five days later due to the exposure of the cold air that was let in when the mob broke in. It was an unreal experience to be in that room and to relive in my mind that story. I hadn't thought too much about that experience since I've had Haylee. But it hit me that much more now that I have a little one to care for who is my whole world. I am completely in awe when I think of what Joseph and especially Emma, as the prophet's wife had to endure. I imagine that night she must have thought they were going to kill her husband and she may never see him alive again. They truly were amazing people who endured so much for the gospel. I doubt I would have the strength or courage or perseverence they had... I should explain a little about the choice of colors in this home. The main colors in those days were red and gray. This guy was obviously more wealthy because he could afford different colors. He did not paint this way to show off, but just had the money to do it, so he did. This was a home that many saints came to so they could meet the prophet, Joseph Smith. They had lots of guest beds for those who traveled to see him. They completely opened their home to Joseph and his family and anyone who needed a place to stay.
Get ready ladies---this room right here is the "birthing room". Guess where it's located??? Right off the great room! Isn't that great?? Wouldn't it be wonderful to be in labor (without an epidural) just a few feet away from the family room?? Ugh! How these women did it, I will never know!

This is the beginning of all the great pics we were able to take with such a beautiful background. I am so happy that April brought her fancy camera!

Still amazed that both kids looked up at the same time!
How beautiful is that background?? I can't even express how beautiful the leaves were while we were there--it definitely felt like fall!
This little guy became my little buddy on the trip! We bonded and it made me feel so good! He is so funny!


Such a cute family pic...:)
Being in Cameron's mission was such a neat experience and gave me so much more respect and love for him. I had heard so many stories through letters during his mission and it was awesome to be able to see things in person finally. I was amazed at all the knowledge of church history that he has. He really IS a smart guy! Who knew! Just teasin', honey!:)
Our little family!
I am so in love with this little gal! She was truly amazing on the trip! I had to laugh as we boarded the plane and I got those looks from other passengers that clearly said, "Oh great. There's the kid that will be screaming for the next three hours. I hope they aren't sitting near me." I know cuz I used to give those looks! But nope, not little Haylee. She was totally content to look out the window as we took off and landed and sit with Grandma Penny and look at books the rest of the flight. We definitely got a good one!:) And I am thankful every day for her!
I can already tell that these two are gonna be close.:)



2 comments:

Kymi said...

I love the picture with your "little family", that is for sure one that needs to go on the wall. The one with you guys and Shaun and Penny looks great too. Good Christmas card pictures. You realize after you have kids people expect the Christmas cards with pictures. I learned that last year. I guess it makes sense?

Jen-ben said...

so cool!! Thanks for sharing those pics!!