Monday, October 5, 2009

Am I really gonna do this???

Well, it sure seems that way! As the little blinky thing to the right implies, I AM training for my first triathlon! Cameron has now done four, so I figured I ought to do one at least! I'm going to do the Casa Grande Triathlon on November 7th. In all fairness, it is a shorter one, so I thought it would be perfect for me to start with.

Most people would consider the swimming to be the hardest part of a triathlon, but not me. I LOVE swimming! I remember when I first began learning to REALLY swim laps (the right way!) I thought, "There is NO way I'm ever gonna be able to be a swimmer!" But now? I could swim laps all day! The part that worries me the most? The running. Yup, I said it. My knee has been crappy for a couple years now. I did physical therapy for it, lost some weight, got a sweet knee brace and it has gotten better. But I have not run a long distance for a LONG time cuz I didn't want my knee to flare up. So now I am back into building up my endurance and hoping I'm ready by November 7th. I do have a backup plan though--her name is Brittney and she is wiling to do the last leg of the triathlon for me (the run). How awesome it that??:) Thank you, Brittney! But hopefully I won't even need ya!

As far as the biking goes...our good friend Molly let me borrow her bike for this triathlon (thanks Molly!) and I'll be honest, last Saturday was my first time on a road bike! Whoa! It was waaay different from any other bike I've been on! I almost fell over trying to switch gears! But once I got the hang of it, I LOVED it!:) Now Cam is lookin' for a bike for me!:) I really wish we would have gotten into triathlons BEFORE Haylee came along! I was in way better shape and we wouldn't have had to get a sitter every time we wanted to go riding together! Oh well, at least we'll be teaching her good habits about exercise! In Show Low they have a kids version of a triathlon that one day Haylee can be a part of! How cute is that??:)

Well, wish me luck! And pray I don't pass out and die!!!:)

3 comments:

Wendy Drew said...

Wow! I know I couldn't do even a third of a triathalon now. Good luck!

Ellison Family said...

That is awesome!! I'm sure you are going to do great, I mean with a coach like Comerford, well wait you are a comerford too. . . . with a coach like Cameron, how could you not! Good Luck and thanks for the good example, I really need to follow in your footsteps.

Mandi said...

First of all, I just want to tell you that I think you are amazing...and maybe just a little bit crazy to be doing a triathalon (see did I even spell the darn thing right?) I wanted to tell you thank you so much for inviting me and Steve to dinner tonight. We had such a great time with you guys. I've always really enjoyed being around you, but I loved tonight because I am really a one-on-one person and it was good to just be myself and have fun talking. Hopefully we get to do something with you guys again soon! I hope you had fun at your movie and that you didn't fall asleep half way through. Thanks again. That was really fun.