Friday, April 4, 2008

Goodbye Grandma Sam...

My Grandma Sam (Selma Bergeron) passed away on March 27th, 2008. We went to her viewing and funeral this past Monday, the 31st, in Winslow, AZ. The graveside service was perfect. My cousins Kathy and Amanda did a great job telling about her life, even down to the little details like my Grandma's dog, Tara, that she loved, but we all hated cuz all that dog did was bark and bark and bark! For my whole life, I remember getting birthday cards from my Grandma with $10 bills in them. She wrote to me a lot while I was on my mission, too. She was a very funny lade, VERY opinionated! I remember she collected owls and I have never and will never look at an owl without thinking of her.:) The last time I saw her was the day after Thanksgiving this past year, on her birthday, November 23rd. My aunt had brought birthday cards for her and we about died laughing when she started lookin' for a knife that she had "lifted", as she put it, from her food tray! She said, "I don't know what they think I'm gonna do with it, but I'm not supposed to have it." I love this lady! This picture of her with Haylee isn't the best (for either of them!), but it is definitely a keepsake...
This is my uncle Leo holding Haylee. We had to take a picture of them cuz every time he held her, she immediately cuddled up to him! He reminded me that he had held a few babies in his lifetime!:)
While we were in Winslow, we found and took a picture of my little brother's headstone. I LOVE the quote on the top: THE CROWN WITHOUT THE CONFLICT. As you can see, his little life was cut short. His heart wasn't fully developed when he was born. I was four years old when he was born and I remember going to the hospital to meet him and seeing him.:) He was such a cute baby. If Haylee had been a boy, we had chosen Wesley for the name. Maybe the next baby...

5 comments:

Two little lovebirds said...

It is so sweet and special that Haylee got to meet her, and that she got to meet Haylee :) My gramma collected owls too, and I always think of her when I see one! I love the quote on Wesley's headstone too.

Kymi said...

Good memories of Grandma's, I'm glad Haylee got to meet her great grandma. That picture will be theo only proof that she did get too, so keep it of her! Wesley...tender thoughts about that one. Hey, what can I say I'm a blue! Three more days...Yahoo!!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing that Haylee has had her picture taken with Great Grandparents and Great - Great Grandparents. I think it's great. Seriously though, I'm glad you have such good memories of your grandma. She sounds pretty cool.

Cassie said...

So sorry to hear about your grandma. Grandma's have a special place in my heart. I was lucky enough to know 3 of my great-grandmothers, the last didn't pass away until I was 17. Cherish that photograph of your sweet baby with her. You'll be so glad you have it.

The Melo's said...

I didn't know you had a baby brother that passed away. We love the name Wesley too, we were going to name McKenzie that if she was a boy.